FIDELALIKA INASA PUTRI ARSALAN</strong
Bimbingan dan Konseling, Fakultas Ilmu Pendidikan, Universitas Negeri Surabaya
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
This article discusses that the Government of Indonesia’s efforts to address students’ low reading and math competencies and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on education. Through the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), it was revealed that most students in Indonesia are below the minimum competency level in reading and mathematics. In response to this, the Ministry of Education has implemented an emergency curriculum that has shown positive results in reducing learning lag. In addition, Merdeka Belajar Curriculum, which allows students to choose their own subjects, is expected to meet the diverse needs of students and aims to produce a generation with academic, emotional, and social intelligence. This curriculum is based on the principles of freedom of choice, autonomous learning, flexibility, relevance, and character development. Although its implementation involves various parties and has its own challenges, it is hoped that this curriculum will benefit students and the education system in Indonesia.
The Program for International Student Assessment (PISA) is a study that shows that most students in Indonesia are still below the minimum competency in understanding simple reading or applying basic mathematical concepts. Over the past ten to fifteen years, there has been no significant improvement in these PISA scores. The study also showed large gaps between regions and socio-economic groups in the quality of learning. This problem is further exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic. To address this, the Ministry of Education, Culture, Research and Technology (MoECT) has simplified the curriculum under special conditions (emergency curriculum) to mitigate the impact of the pandemic. The results of using the emergency curriculum show a positive impact in reducing learning lag. The effectiveness of this curriculum reinforces the importance of changing the curriculum design and implementation strategy more comprehensively. In the world of education, the curriculum has a strategic role as the heart of learning activities. The curriculum is the foundation for teaching and learning activities and is a tool to achieve educational goals. However, the curriculum is not static and must always adapt to the times. In Indonesia, the curriculum has undergone several changes, and one of the latest concepts being implemented is the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum. Merdeka Belajar Curriculum is a concept that aims to give students freedom in choosing the subjects they want to take. This concept aims to encourage students to be independent in learning and ready to compete in the global world. In its implementation, Merdeka Belajar Curriculum emphasizes more autonomous and flexible learning.
This research uses a type of literature study research (literature review) with the selected review model is a narrative review. The study conducted in the narrative review model is to compare data from several journals that have been analyzed and summarized based on the author’s experience, existing theories and models. The research method used is a qualitative research method with the data source used in the form of secondary data obtained from several journals, articles and previous research, and books that can be accessed on Google Scholar.
Merdeka Belajar Curriculum is not a concept that just appears out of nowhere, but rather an answer to the demands of the times and the increasingly diverse needs of students. Along with the development of technology and information, students are faced with wider access to knowledge and information. Therefore, the curriculum needs to be adjusted so that students can gain knowledge that is relevant and useful in their lives.
In addition, the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum also responds to the demand to produce a generation that not only has academic intelligence, but also emotional and social intelligence. A generation that is able to adapt to changes and is able to face challenges in this modern era. The implementation of the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum is based on several basic principles that direct curriculum design and implementation. The following are the principles that form the basis of the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum:
- Freedom of Choice: Students are given the freedom to choose the subjects they want to take, according to their interests, talents, and goals.
- Autonomous Learning: Merdeka Belajar Curriculum encourages students to be independent in learning. Students are given full responsibility in organizing their time, learning methods, and achieving their learning goals.
- Flexibility: Merdeka Belajar Curriculum provides flexibility in the implementation of learning. Students can choose various types of learning, such as online, offline, or a combination of both.
- Relevance: Merdeka Belajar Curriculum emphasizes the relevance of learning to the needs of students and the world of work. The subjects taught are pursued in accordance with the times and the needs of society.
- Character Development: The Merdeka Belajar Curriculum does not only focus on academic aspects, but also on developing student character. Learning is carried out by paying attention to moral aspects, ethics, and life values.
- Implementation of Merdeka Belajar Curriculum
The implementation of the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum is carried out through several stages involving various parties, from the government, head of service, principal, teachers, to students and school committees. Each party has its own roles and responsibilities in designing and implementing this curriculum.
- The role of the Head of Service: Heads of service have an important role in formulating policies and implementing Merdeka Belajar Curriculum at the regional level. They are responsible for coordinating the implementation of the curriculum in schools in their area.
- The Role of the School Principal: Principals as professional leaders are tasked with translating changes in society and culture into the curriculum at school. They are responsible for implementing the curriculum by taking into account student needs and school conditions.
- Role of Teachers: Teachers have a very important role in curriculum development at the school level. They play a role in providing considerations in curriculum development, teaching according to the established curriculum and providing feedback for future curriculum improvement.
- The Role of Students: Students are the main subject in Merdeka Belajar Curriculum. They have the freedom to choose the subjects they want to take, organize their study time, and achieve their learning goals.
- Role of the School Committee: The school committee can provide ideas, suggestions, or considerations for improving the school curriculum. They act as representatives of parents and the community in curriculum development.
- Challenges and Expectations of the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum
Implementation of the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum is not without challenges. Some of the challenges faced include a lack of understanding and awareness of the concept of Merdeka Belajar Curriculum, limited resources and infrastructure, and resistance to change from various parties. However, with the cooperation and commitment of all related parties, it is hoped that Merdeka Belajar Curriculum can provide great benefits for students and the world of education in Indonesia. In this ever-evolving era, education needs to keep up with the times and the needs of students. The Merdeka Belajar Curriculum is an effort to produce a generation that is ready to face future challenges. By giving students the freedom to choose subjects and organize learning, it is hoped that they can develop their full potential.
Merdeka Belajar Curriculum is a concept that aims to give students freedom in choosing subjects. This concept is based on the principles of freedom of choice, autonomous learning, flexibility, relevance, and character development. The implementation of this curriculum involves various parties, from the government, heads of offices, principals, teachers, to students and school committees. Although faced with challenges, it is hoped that the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum can provide great benefits for students and the world of education in Indonesia. With the Merdeka Belajar Curriculum, it is hoped that students can become a generation that is independent, adaptive, and ready to compete in this era of globalization.
Berutu, D. E. (2023). Implementasi Kurikulum Merdeka dan Platform Merdeka Mengajar. Gerakan Dairi Merdeka Belajar.
Gumgum Gumilar, D. P. (2023). Urgensi Penggantian Kurikulum 2013 Menjadi Kurikulum Merdeka. Jurnal Publikasi Pendidikan Dasar, 148-155.
Juliati Boang Manalu, P. S. (2022). Pengembangan Perangkat Pembelajaran Kurikulum Merdeka Belajar. Mahesa Research Center, 80-86.
Santika, N. Suarni, and I. W. Lasmawan, “ANALISIS PERUBAHAN KURIKULUM DITINJAU DARI KURIKULUM SEBAGAI SUATU IDE”, JURNAL EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 694-700, Sep. 2022
SopiansyahD., MasrurohS., ZaqiahQ., & ErihadianaM. (2021). Konsep dan Implementasi Kurikulum MBKM (Merdeka Belajar Kampus Merdeka). Reslaj : Religion Education Social Laa Roiba Journal, 4(1), 34-41. https://doi.org/10.47467/reslaj.v4i1.458
Quoted From Many Source